Game mechanics change people's behavior
Games engage us in flow, unfolding challenges over time to the player
The 5 foundational elements of game mechanics are
- The power of completing a set
- Game points are points given by system
- Social points are given by other players. They drive collaboration.
- Redeemable points drive loyalty in those who care
- Leader boards drive player behavior such as competitive behavior
- Levels are short hand of points earned.
- Feedback accelerates drive to mastery.
- Feedback is fun
- Social Feedback is more powerful than system feedback
- Structured social interaction
- Explicit exchanges
- Adding a friend in facebook
- Implicit exchanges
- Are more powerful than explicit exchange
- Gift exchange
- Character customization
- Customization engaged players and makes them stick
- Social media is making games more accessible to more people